Sweet Potato Donuts Recipe
- Recipe by: Chef Aaron Fish, Chef de Cuisine | Eat Good Group
- Difficulty level: Medium
- Time: 30 minutes
- 2 quarts canola oil (heated to 350 degrees in a dutch oven on the stovetop)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Spiceology Ras el Hanout Blend
- 1 tablespoon Spiceology Pumpkin Powder (optional)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup Spiceology Maple Sugar
- Heat the canola oil over medium heat up to 350-375 degrees.
- In a bowl add Flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, Ras el Hanout and Pumpkin Powder. Whisk well.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg, milk, sweet potato and 3 tablespoons of canola oil. Whisk and add to dry mix. Mix well and set aside.
- With oil preheated to 350 degrees, scoop 1oz balls of donut batter into the oil and fry for 3-6 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. You will need to flip the donuts half way and try to keep the oil between 340-375 degrees. If its too cold your donuts will not be awesome.
- After removing immediately toss in some maple sugar or powdered sugar to coat. Serve with caramel sauce!
FALL GUY PILONCILLO CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1 8oz Piloncillo Cone
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon The Grill Dads Fall Guy Blend
- Pour water into sauce pot and place sugar and piloncillo cone in the center, avoid getting sugar on the sides of the pot as it will burn and ruin your life.
- Bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Work to break up the Piloncillo cone.
- Once dissolved and simmering, take mixture to 300 degrees. Remove from heat and add cream while whisking. Lumps may form, just continue to whisk.
- Add remaining ingredients and set aside to cool.